Thursday, January 26, 2012

My first days of ministry!


My first days of ministry have been awesome!  I arrived at 11:30PM Monday.  Tuesday was a rest day.  Wednesday morning I got to speak at a Christian school here in Chennai.  During this short time while I’m in this city, I am volunteering with Metro Missions.  It is a children’s ministry.   They do a lot of work with slum children and also with Christian schools.  As of now, Anand and his wife Pamela, and staff have open doors to get into all 40 Christian schools in the city.  These schools are Christian because of their staff and curriculum.  They do however have open enrollment and allow children of all religions to attend trusting God will lead many to salvation. 
So on Wednesday morning I had the opportunity to speak to 500 children.  Most of them are Hindu.  Anand guessed around 100 are Muslim and about 50 are believers.   I spoke to them about Jesus being the light of the world.  I even taught them that song. J  I asked them about darkness and if they had ever felt afraid.  I couldn’t believe how many raised their hands, even the high school kids around 17 years old; almost every hand shot up.  I spoke about how Jesus’ perfect love casts out fear.  I don’t know what sorts of situations these children experience, but I am sure of our Father’s perfect love for them.  The time was all together wonderful and as I left my heart was also burning with love for them.  God himself is giving me a love for His people here! 
Today I spent time with Anand’s wife Pamela and their children.  It was amazing.  I am so overjoyed to know these wonderful servants.  They have started off with small things and been found faithful.  Now God is growing their scope of influence.  I was also pleased to learn they live totally by faith.  They had no income to pay for their apartment, food, and 5 and 9 year old daughters.  They trust Jesus for all and ask for nothing.  Just last month they got their first car.  Someone just gave it to them.  Before this they would transport the whole family of four on a motor bike.  Please pray for this godly family and their mission to the children of Chennai.  They have lovingly reached out to me, driven me all over the city, helped me get set up with traditional Indian clothing and cell phone, helped my with cultural norms, given me ministry opportunities, and overall simply loved me because we are family in Christ!  What a blessing they are to me. 
Tomorrow I will speak again in another school.  Afterwards we will go into a slum and spend time with the kids there.  I don’t know all that entails… but I imagine it’s like a VBS… only it takes place way more frequently.  Once again… I really appreciate your prayers!  God is working!! 

6 comments:

  1. I'm thinking about your last year at Lincoln yearbook & all the wonderful testimonies your kids wrote - "My teacher, Erin helped me to know who Jesus is" :) Looking forward to great testimonies!! ... & how blessed I am to still hear the testimonies of what God is & will be doing in these kids lives !! Although I will miss to see the sheer joy & excitement on your face & especially sharing it over a meal :) God is with you hun - He goes before you & He is your rear guard! Is52:12

    Love u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan! You're the best! Thanks for your kind words! I also miss you... and since you mentioned meals.... I miss your cooking! You would LOVE the food here!! It reminds me of all the yumminess you used to make for us! I miss you and love you dear! Praying for you, your family, and God's provision for you in your next step!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing about your experience(s)! I look forward to hearing more and more! :) We miss you around here! We are keeping you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace! Thanks for praying! How are you and Robert? I miss you guys! I'd to talk with you more to hear about all that you guys plan to do in the future... Always remember that God is sooo good... and filled with purpose! Every step is meaningful! Love you guys!

      Delete